Thursday, November 25, 2010

Behind The Scenes- MFA Presents- New Generation III MMA


Hello readers,
This is a different kind of post from what I usually have for you guys. I wanted to give you a little insight into what it's like to work as a Production Makeup Artist. With all the time constraints, I normally don't have the chance to take pictures at the events I work for, but this weekend I was able to bring along a photographer to this MMA event. I really want you all to have the complete Behind the Scenes experience. So here it is... 
See more on this post by clicking "Read More" below!




The MMA event took place at the FIU US Century Bank Arena and it was recorded in HD for national TV. You can imagine the amount of pressure that puts on the makeup artist, because HD is a whole different game. The cameras show the most minuscule imperfections and the makeup has to be absolutely flawless. Not only that, but this time, the TV cameras were also on me and my team, filming us as we were working our magic. The event was a complete success for everyone involved.

Follow me along in this picture diary:
(Click on the pictures to view them larger)

First up here I am with my fabulous assistant, Eleni. None of this would be possible without her help and dedication to the task at hand. Believe it or not, this pic was taken at the end and although we may not look it, we were exhausted. 
Luckily baby Amelie behaved really well all night even though I was all over the place. She did kick my brush belt a few times, but other than that, she was great. ;) I have to say, for being over 7 months pregnant, I was able to make it through the whole ordeal without feeling too tired. 



Here I am ready for the first client. Do you see my little light in the back? Well, that was the only light we had available in our corner and it SAVED us. (Thank you awesome little light that is brighter than the sun. I promise I will buy another one of you ASAP.)



And I begin working right away...Here is the first model


And after I'm done working "the magic:"


Not even 5 seconds later, and I start to work on the second model.



But wait... I must stop what I'm doing, because the Ring Announcer has arrived, and he has to be ready ASAP for TV. So I ask the model to sit down and relax for a minute and I get to work on him.


And what's going on there in the background?
That's my assistant working on the performer who will sing the National Anthem. She needs to be done soon, because she is opening the show.

All done
Now back to the second model, she needs to be finished and this is when the power went out in our corner. I had to have the photographer point the camera light at me to finish her makeup, because there was no time left. She had to be ready for the press.

While I finish with her, my assistant Eleni applies body makeup to the other model.

Did I mention their whole body has to look amazing and flawless? Not that she needed much help in that department.

And we move our table to a different location, with light.
This is Jorge, the president of MFA Promotions. He needs to be ready for his closeup.


I start working on the commentator...


Meanwhile, Eleni puts the finishing touches on the singer...

And she is done!

There I am retouching the announcer while the show is on. 


Well, although we were not able to capture the whole night of our work on camera for you, at least you got to see some of what we do here. As chaotic and unpredictable as it is to work for big events, I would not trade it for any other job. The adrenaline rush you get doing makeup for a large amount of people on a time crunch, is truly indescribable. Not to mention the amazing people you get to meet along the way. ( Check the post below for more on  that.) 

I want to give a special thanks to Alluring Advertising, LLC and MFA Promotions for hiring me and my team. It was truly a pleasure working for you and we hope to work together again soon.

Jaday :)

Check out this slideshow for LOTS more Behind the Scenes pictures:



No comments:

Post a Comment